This Policy applies to the collection, use, disclosure and handling of personal information by DuxRoe collected through our website and in the conduct of our business. This policy outlines the obligations which we have in managing the personal information we hold about our clients, potential clients, contractors and others parties.
DuxRoe are bound by the 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988(Cth) (Privacy Act) as well as being bound by the legal and ethical obligations of confidentiality as required under the Legal Profession Act 2007 (Qld).
Why do DuxRoe collect personal information?
DuxRoe collect and hold and uses personal information in order to conduct our business, to provide and market our services and to meet our legal obligations.
In most cases, if personal information we request is not provided, we may not be able to supply the relevant product or service.
What kinds of personal information do we collect?
In general, the type of personal information DuxRoe collect and hold includes (but is not limited to):
- Your name and contact details including your address (physical and/or postal), email address and telephone number;
- Your date of birth and proof of your date of birth, eg: driver’s licence, passport, etc;
- Your income and financial information including, but not limited to, your bank account details and assets, liabilities, insurance and superannuation details;
- Any other financial information including, but not limited to, your tax file number, income tax returns, financial and bank statements, child support details and valuation reports;
- Financial information on entities that are under your control, for example, family trusts and private companies;
- Information relating to entities you may be associated with and personal information relating to other people which may be relevant to your matter.
In the course of providing legal services we may collect and hold credit information. You may access any credit information that we hold about you, seek correction of this information or enquire about how we have used your credit information.
About whom do we collect personal information?
The type of information we may collect and hold includes (but is not limited to) personal information about:
Clients, business associates and potential clients and their employees;
Suppliers and their employees;
Prospective employees, employees and contractors.
How do we collect personal information?
We will make a reasonable effort to collect your personal information directly from you. This will generally be by way of forms filled out by you, face to face meetings, interviews, business cards, telephone conversations and from third parties.
We may collect your personal information from third parties including:
- Your accountant;
- Your financial planner;
- Your family members, legal guardian and/or anyone you have authorised to deal with us on your behalf;
- A company in which you are a shareholder or officeholder;
- Government agencies;
- Search agents we engage;
- Anyone seeking our services in relation to their dealings or interaction with you; and/or
- From publically available sources.
You can disable cookies or web beacons on your internet browser.
How might we use and disclose your personal information?
DuxRoe may use and disclose your personal information for the primary purpose for which it is collected, for reasonably expected secondary purposes which are related to the primary purpose and in other circumstances authorised by the Privacy Act.
In general, we use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide legal services;
- To respond to requests or queries;
- To keep our clients and other contacts informed about our services, industry developments and events;
- For administrative purposes;
- For recruitment purposes;
- To see your feedback; and
- For any other business related purposes.
To whom might we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Experts, professional service providers (such as accountants, insurers and financial planners) and other third parties contracted as part of an engagement;
- Our service providers;
- Courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities; and
- Anyone else to whom you authorise us to disclose it.
We also collect personal information from these organisations and individuals, and deal with that information in accordance with this Policy.
DuxRoe do not disclose personal information to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to send marketing materials to you. We may send you journals, newsleters, publications and event invitations which we believe will be of interest to you. However, you may unsubscribe from receiving these from us at any time.
Sending information overseas:
We will not send your personal information to recipients outside of Australia without:
- Obtaining your consent (in some cases this consent will be implied); or
- Otherwise complying with the APPs.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that such recipients respect the confidentiality of this information by abiding by the APPs or equivalent privacy laws.
Some personal information which we collect is 'sensitive information'. Sensitive information includes: information relating to a person's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional or trade association membership, sexual preferences and criminal record, that is also personal information and health information about an individual.
Sensitive information will be used and disclosed only for the purpose for which it was provided or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you agree otherwise, or where certain other limited circumstances apply (eg, where required by law).
Management of Personal Information
The APPs require us to take reasonable steps to protect the security of personal information. DuxRoe personnel are required to respect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of individuals.
DuxRoe takes reasonable steps to protect personal information held from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. For example we implement the following security measures:
- physical security for access to our business premises;
- IT security procedures including password protection and firewalls; and
- Ensuring all completed files are maintained in a secured facility which can only be accessed by our authorized personnel.
We review these security measures from time to time, as required.
We hold personal information in both electronic and hard copy formats. Where we no longer require your personal information for a permitted purpose under the APPs, we will take reasonable steps to destroy it.
Data protection measures are never completely secure and despite the measures we put in place we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. You must take care to protect your personal information (eg: by protecting usernames and passwords). You should notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any security breaches.
How do we keep personal information accurate and up-to-date?
DuxRoe endeavour to ensure that the personal information it holds is accurate, complete and up-to-date. We encourage you to contact us in order to update any personal information we hold about you. Our contact details are set out below.
You have the ability to gain access to your personal information
Subject to the exceptions set out in the Privacy Act, you may gain access to the personal information which DuxRoe hold about you by contacting DuxRoe on email@example.com.
We will require you to verify your identity and to specify what information you require. A fee may be charged for providing access. We will advise you of the likely cost in advance.
Updates to this Policy
This Policy will be reviewed from time to time to take account of new laws and technology, changes to our operations and practices and the changing business environment. The most current version of this Policy is located at www.duxroe.com.au and can be obtained by contacting DuxRoe.
If you have any questions about privacy-related issues, please contact DuxRoe firstname.lastname@example.org.